Bahamas BonefishHaving tangled with Bonefish for the first time in 2008, my wife and I decided to book a return trip for a midwinter break from the Cold and Snow. She loves the Bahamas for the sunshine and warmth, and I (like any obsessed fly fisherman) love it for the Bonefish. We arrived several days late to our destination due to flight delays, along with missing luggage, including our camera. I was chomping at the bit to get out and chase those silver tails that I remembered so vividly from the year before. Our first evening there I rigged up my gear, got the shades and shoes ready and set the alarm for 6 AM. When the alarm woke me from my slumber the next morning I could hear rain drumming on the roof of the cottage. It rained for most of the day ( naturally) and also was a high moon tide meaning that I would have to wait until the evening to fish, assuming the weather broke. To the amusement of my wife, Melannie, I spent much time pacing about watching the wind ( out of the north) and the complete lack of sunlight. “Relax you’re on vacation in the Bahamas!” Relax? With bonefish out the door and terrible weather? Yah right. I couldn’t take it any more, so I waded chest deep across the channel to the flat that is located behind the cottage. I dont mind wading up to my chest ( I am 6 foot 4) but it was a little foolish considering the two five foot lemon sharks that I spotted finning once I got to the mud flat in front of me. Knowing where I stood on the food chain, and not being comforted by the fact that I had to wade across the channel again to get to shore, albeit at a lower tide, I decided to give them plenty of leeway and fish the ocean side of the flat. The wind continued, as did the bursts of rain from the sky and my hopes of spotting a bone were pretty slim. But, ya can’t catch them sitting on the porch so I was grasping at straws when a plan came together. Knowing that the fish would be hard to spot, actually damn near impossible, with no sun … I decided to hunt tailers. Using what little light there was I would crouch on my knees and look for tails headed in the opposite direction of the waves. It worked! I could just make out a disturbance in the water headed in my direction. Crouching on my knees I flipped my rubber legged gotcha about 20 feet ahead of where the fish seemed to be feeding towards. One long slow retrieve and the fish was on, line screaming from the reel and hissing as it cut through the water (there’s no sound like that in the world!) I couldn’t believe it , a bonefish in a rain shower! It was a bone about four pounds and he was all sprint! Finally after playing the fish out I headed for shore. Crossing the channel up to my waist in the dark with sharks around was not my idea of a way to end the evening. For the rest of the week the weather was the same wind in the north, cold air and tough conditions. I went with a guide who’s wife thought for sure we would quit by noon (she finally called him at 4:30 pm to check on us as we were coming off the water.) I landed six good bones throughout the course of the week and lost about the same number , including one that straightened out a hook. Never did the sun really shine that bright for any length of time , never did the wind quit, and never did it really warm up. When you need a coffee to warm up after fishing a Bahamas flat … it’s cold. But like I said, you can’t catch fish while sitting on the couch and the best bone fishing conditions are when you are on the water … weather or not.