Select Page

Steelhead Nirvana VideoHi Speed Only

Sometimes, very rarely, everything is perfect. Typically it’s too hot, too cold, too windy, too much water, too little water, too cloudy, too sunny….Any steelhead addict will tell you that “pefect days” are few and far between. Pat and I left Maine at 5am. I was asleep on the couch and woke up to Pat’s horn blowing. I have been working very hard lately and designing different softwares until 2 or 3 in the morning. I must have passed out on the couch around that time, and the next thing I knew it was time to go steelheading. I quickly rounded up my gear and we were off. I called Waterhippa when we hit Albany, NY. His phone rang and this was the extent of the conversation. “DUDE! We have hooked so many beautiful chromers! I have one on right now! Hurry up!” So, Pat steps on the gas and we arrive at the river in no time. The sun is shining and it’s 68 degrees and the water level is just fine. In minutes, I hook my first fish! A beautiful Rainbow and then another dime bright Brown Trout. Words can not describe how good it felt to be in the water and away from all that computer code. My mind was at ease. I was surrounded by good friends, sunshine and water and there was nothing to think about and nothing to figure out. Then it got better. I made a long cast across the run. The perfect drift was in motion and WHAM! A bright chromer leaps out of the water 3 times. Dave managed to capture the initial jump on video. Nice work Dave. That day came to an end. Waterhippa, Nate, Pat and myself went to Fatso’s for wings and pizza. We looked at the photos on the camera and laughed alot over wings and pizza. The morning sun found us on the remote streams that Waterwhippa grew up on. These waters were unbelievable. Trout were jumping up waterfalls and we were basically sight fishing to chrome Rainbows and Steelhead. Pat hooked 3 wonderful fish and landed one flawless rainbow. Dave was kind enough to give us the top slots in his favorite holes. I hooked a bunch of rainbows that jumped and ran and will forever be in my memory. The sun went down and I wish it never did that day. I just wanted that day to go on forever. But, as they say all good things end. Pat and I fished for a few morning hours on our last day. I caught a magnificent steelhead that took me way into the backing and jumped across the pool several times. Pat hooked a perfectly colored steelhead in a crystal clear run. I know he won’t ever forget that fish. So, needless to say, this steelhead season is coming to an end and I am reluctant to make another trip because I know that this past trip will be tough to beat. Great people, great fish, great weather and memories to last a lifetime. Thank you Dave for sharing your spots with us and for giving us the best drifts in the pool. You are surely a quality fly fisherman and a quality friend. When you and Nate come to Maine we will go out of our way to accomodate you with the same hospitality.